Agilent Technologies Offers New Learning Materials for Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry
Agilent Technologies Inc. today announced the availability of a new 86-page Primer on Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP-MS) and a web-based video on ICP-MS featuring the Agilent 7500ce ICP-MS. Both items, which are freely accessible on the Agilent Web site, are valuable resources for anyone wanting to understand the principles and capabilities of ICP-MS for trace metals analysis.
The Primer is a comprehensive guide to the fundamentals and applications of ICP-MS and is aimed at newcomers to the technique; however, experienced users will also find up-to-date information on collision/reaction cells and new speciation applications of interest. Subjects covered in the ICP-MS Primer include:
- ICP-MS history, principles, hardware and benefits
- All major analyzer types covered: quadrupole, sector, time-of-flight
- In-depth review of collision/reaction cells in ICP-MS for removal of interferences
- Discussion of sampling accessories including liquid sample introduction, laser ablation and other solids analysis techniques
- Hyphenated techniques including GC-ICP-MS, LC (IC)-ICP-MS, CE-ICP-MS
- Practical applications information and performance data
- A look at operating costs and typical maintenance requirements
The 7-minute video describes the main components and principles of an ICP-MS system, featuring the Agilent 7500ce. Of special interest is an animated sequence showing every stage of a sample's journey through the ICP-MS - from the sample vial through to the detector, including an "ion's eye" view of the journey through the ion lenses, collision cell and mass analyzer. This visualization of the processes involved in ICP-MS will aid understanding of the technique.