|Vacancy: || Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai: Lab Manager - Laser Ablation ICP-MS Biomarker Development Lab|
Posting date: 24.03.2023
|Type: || Other ( permanent ) positions |
We are seeking a full-time Lab Manager to join the Senator Frank R. Lautenberg Environmental Health Sciences Laboratory at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. The Lautenberg Lab is focused on discovering new biomarkers of environmental exposures, particularly in childhood, and is involved in multi-national studies targeting health outcomes such as neurodevelopment and autism spectrum disorder.
As part of a novel avenue for biomarker development, the Lautenberg Lab is seeking to develop LA-ICP-MS and LIBS methods to discover new biomarkers of environmental exposure and biological response using various biological samples. The samples we receive are precious with over 10 years of effort invested in their collection from countries such as the US, Mexico, Italy, Sweden and Bangladesh. Importantly, these samples are unique in providing a chemical time-machine to study environmental exposures and nutrition from before birth through childhood and even into adulthood. There is a wealth of information archived in these samples and we are looking for a highly motivated individual to help us extract that information that will contribute to our understanding of how early life exposures can affect development and adult health. Our Chemical Mapping group houses 2 mass spectrometers (Agilent 8900 ICP-MS), 2 Laser Ablation sample introduction systems (ESL 193) as well as an Applied Spectra LA/LIBS system (J200).
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Core responsibility for Laser Ablation (LA) ICP-MS and LIBS operations
- Train and supervise laboratory users in sample preparation, laboratory techniques and analytical approaches, including data analysis and QA/QC.
- Collaborate with lab users to design and support their LA-ICP-MS and LIBS research process in the laboratory, including sample selection strategies, calibration, sample preparation and analysis, data processing
- Collaborate with laboratory staff on technique development and to ensure optimal operations using both laser ablation and solution modes
- Develop new analytical methods to co-evolve capabilities with user needs
- Develop, uphold, and document rigorous data quality requirements for lab users
- Coordinate and organize daily operations, purchase consumables, facilitate and supervise lab and instrument cleaning and maintenance
- Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry or related field and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Understanding of academic research facility needs.
- Demonstrated supervisor/management experience.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple budgets.
- Knowledge and experience in managing facilities, operations, maintenance, space, and equipment administration in a research or teaching setting.
- Good communication and customer services skills.
- Ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects in a complex and technical environment.
- Familiarity with health and safety compliance regulations.
In Addition, Our Preferred Requirements Include
- M.S. or PhD. in Earth Science, Analytical Chemistry, or a closely related field
- Programming in Matlab, C++, R or Python
- Experience working with hazardous materials in a laboratory
Interested individuals should email a cover letter including a brief summary of research interests and experience as well as their curriculum vitae to:
Mauro Martinez, PhD
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1057
New York, NY 10029