|Vacancy: || Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai: Associate Researcher |
Posting date: 24.03.2023
|Type: || Other ( permanent ) positions |
We are seeking a full-time Associate Researcher to join the Senator Frank R. Lautenberg Environmental Health Sciences Laboratory at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. The Lautenberg Lab is focused on discovering new biomarkers of environmental exposures, particularly in childhood, and is involved in multi-national studies targeting health outcomes such as neurodevelopment and autism spectrum disorder.
As part of a novel avenue for biomarker development, the Lautenberg Lab develops analytical chemistry methods to measure biomarkers of environmental exposure and biological response using various biological tissues. The samples we receive are precious with over 10 years of effort invested in their collection from countries such as the US, Mexico, Italy, Sweden and Bangladesh. Importantly, these samples are unique in providing a chemical time-machine to study environmental exposures and nutrition from before birth through childhood and even into adulthood. There is a wealth of information archived in these samples and we are looking for a highly motivated individual to help us extract that information that will contribute to our understanding of how early life exposures can affect development and adult health.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Conduct a variety of routine and some non-routine laboratory experiments and assignments with very general supervision of the analytical chemist.
- Prepare and analyze biological samples for trace element analysis
- Carry out QA/QC protocols and calibrate sensitive analytical instruments and equipment (LA-ICP-MS, balances and pipettes etc), make adjustments and resolve problems.
- Follow proper biological and chemical handling, storage and waste management procedures
- Assist with method development
- The ability to work with small, precious samples that requires handling dexterity in sample preparation.
- Implement laboratory safety practices and take appropriate action when needed. Maintain up to date MSDS folder and laboratory safety trainings. Keep the chemical inventory up to date. Maintain valid supply of all safety equipment, chemicals and spill kits.
- Proper maintenance of equipment and supplies in timely manner.
- Operate equipment following standard operating instructions, troubleshoot breakdowns, maintain supplies, perform preventative maintenance and organize repairs when needed.
- Proper maintenance of files and records including sample-tracking system, Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). Document daily laboratory procedures in electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) and assist in sample processing and tracking in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Serves as a resource to all lab users, works with principle investigators. Participate in discussions of research protocols, objectives and thinks innovatively to improve lab procedures and implement new methods.
- Enhances the laboratory by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and the ability to explore opportunities to add value to the organization.
- The ability to do routines tasks on a daily basis whilst maintaining high quality work.
- Having ICP-MS and laser experience is highly desirable but not essential. Experience in sample preparation or other analytical chemistry techniques is also desirable. Demonstration of initiative to learn new skills and instrumentation would be favorable.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, or related field and experience working in a laboratory (coursework is included).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to meet project timelines.
- Experience with ICP-MS, LA-ICP-MS, or other spectroscopy/chromatography methods and developing new methods of analysis are highly desirable.
Interested individuals should email a cover letter including a brief summary of research/career interests and experience as well as their curriculum vitae to:
Mauro Martinez, PhD
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
One Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1057
New York, NY 10029