Supplied as standard
- High speed deuterium background corrector.
- Mark VI air-acetylene burner and spraychamber.
- Double skinned extraction chimney.
- Corrosion resistant Hi-vac nebulizer.
- Removable sample tray and spraychamber stand.
- Flame and furnace System software.
- Validation and Sample Tracking Software.
- Signal Graphics Library Software.
- Quality Control Protocols (QCP-3) Software.
- Utilities Software.
- Operation manual.
- Flame analytical methods 'Cookbook'.
Narrow Beam Optics
Tue double beam all-reflective optics with unique Rotating Beam Combiner (RBC), alternately passes 100% of sample, beam and 100% of reference beam to the monochromator for low noise and better detection limits. All mirrors hard dielectric coated. All optics mounted in a completely sealed three dimensional cast aluminium Chassis for strength and reduced vibrations.
Czerny Turner :330 well focal length. Holographic diffraction grating, 1800 lines/mm, for greater resolution blazed at 240 nm. Wavelength range 185 -900 nm.
Seven von slits, 0.1, 0.2, 0.5 and 1.0 nm with full height and 0.2, 0.5 and 1.0 reduced height, for furnace operation. Selected wide range R446 multi-alkali photomultiplier tube.
Eight Iamp automatic positioning turret (SpectrAA-400) or four Iamp manual positioning turret
(SpectrAA 300) both with SpectrAA lamp bases. The unique turret base stops the Iamp from sliding forward and eliminates corrosion prone flying leads and connectors. Electrical connection is made when the lamp is inserted directly into the base.
- Coded lamps for automatic element. recognition without adaptors
- Multi-element coded lamps for automatic selection of next element in the sequence without rotating the turret
- Economical uncoded lamps
- High intensity Superlamps for best detection limits
- Both lamp turrets feature:
- Two Iamp power supply for operating Iamp and automatic warm up of next lamp in sequence
- Pre-alignment of either 8 or 4 lamps
- Automatic switch off of each Iamp after use.
SpectrAA Hollow Cathode Lamps
Electronically modulated for Narrow Beam profile for better sensitivity and extended lifetime.
High intensity deuterium background corrector standard. Range 185 to 425 nm to total 2.3 absorbance.
2 ms response for accurate correction of fast background signals. Electronic modulation with automatic attenuation. Lamp is mounted at the front for easy adjustment or replacement by the user without removing instrument covers.
Programmable Gas Control Option
Fuel and oxidant gas flows set from with closed loop feedback control.
Automatic changeover between air and nitrous oxide flames and automatic setting of gas flows for each element . Thirteen safety interlocks. lf any interlock (except the flame shield ) is violated, the Safety Tank
Extinguishes the flame with a burst of air, and shuts off both the acetylene and the oxidant. Separate flame-on and flame-off buttons.
Automatic Gas Control Option
Fuel and oxidant gas flows set manually with flow rotameters. Automatic changeover between air and nitrous oxide flames. Eleven safety interlocks. All interlocks must be satisfied before the flame is ignited. During operation, if any interlock (except the flame shield) is violated, the Safety Tank extinguishes the flame with a burst of air, and shuts off both the acetylene and the oxidant. Separate flame-on and flame-off buttons.
SpectrAA Safety System
No cables, adaptors, restraining wires or tools required.
- Burner type
- Burner correctly fitted
- Liquid trap full
- Nebulizer bung in place
- Pressure relief bung in place
- Flame shield in place
- Mains power
- Air pressure
- Nitrous oxide pressure
- Air reservoir full
- Fuel flow*
- Oxidant flow*
*Programmable gas control only
Separate upper and lower flame shields and double skinned extraction chimney protect against UV and heat, while allowing adjustment of all burner controls. Igniter button is not used for both flame an and flame off.
Mark VI Flame Atomization System
- Solid polypropylene Mark VI spraychamber
- Rapid removal and disassembly without tools, for cleaning or to switch to furnace operation
- Removable twin-head mixing paddles
- Externally adjustable impact bead
- Dual position Hi-vac nebulizer with inert platinum/iridium capillary and tantalum venturi
- Integral liquid trap with magnetic float interlock
- Incoloy Mark VI air-acetylene burner with Teflon corrosion shield
- Burner rotation through a full 90°
- Mark VI nitrous oxide acetylene burner
- Teflon impact bead for HF applications
- Adjustable nebulizer recommended for organics
- Fluorinated High Density Polyethylene Mark VI spraychamber recommended for both organics and aqueous solutions.
Varian guarantees that an absorbance of 0.55 (4s) or greater can be obtained from a 5 mg/L copper standard using a Mark VI air-acetylene flame under optimized conditions with the mixing paddles removed. Factory studies of ten different units showed an average absorbance of 0.73 with a standard deviation of 0.044.
With the mixing paddles fitted and the impact bead adjusted, precision will be better than 0.5% from just ten 5 second integrations.
Spectr-AA-300/400 Plus software is certified for operation with 100% IBM AT compatible personal computers with 8086/286, 386 and selected 486 processors, with minimum 512 kbyte Random Access Memory (1 Mbyte RAM recommended if running third party software applications), DOS 3.30 or higher (but not with DOS Shell) and VGA monitor recommended. Consult with your Varian representative to confirm PC compatibility.
- Central PC control of SpectrAA-300 Plus or SpectrAA-400 Plus, SPS-5 or PSC-56 flame autosamplers, GTA-96 graphite tube atomizer and PSD furnace sampler.
- SpectrAA-300/400 Plus includes:
- Flame/vapor and furnace system software
- Validation and Sample Tracking software
- Signal Graphics Library software
- Quality Control Protocols (QCP-3) software
- Utilities software
SpectrAA-300/400 Plus Software features:
- Full text display of error messages and prompts
- Status block displays a summary of current instrument conditions
- Logical next step softkeys
- Central index
- Context sensitive multi-lingual Help system
- `Cookbook' notes for each element
- Recall and automatic setup of default element parameters
Data Quality Control Protocols
SpectrAA 300/400 Plus includes:
- Data editing
- Spike recovery calculations
- Duplicate calculations
- Sample preparation blank subtraction from samples
- Date and time stamping
- Upper and lower warning limits with flagging
QCP-3 for graphite furnace includes tests designed to meet many US EPA CLP
- Two QC Standards (ICV/CCV)
- QC Spikes
- Precision testing
- Over-range volume reduction
- Matrix spikes
QCP-3 includes user programmable error actions, date and time stamping and muck more.