The Academy is an Information and Educational Charity. Its aims and objectives are:
- To encourage the study, improve the practice and advance knowledge in Forensic Science and Medicine.
- To hold meetings and to publish material that furthers the interests of the Academy.
- To widen, improve and develop knowledge and skills in the fields of Forensic Science and Medicine.
- To further these objects by:
- Promoting better cooperation between lawyers and expert witnesses.
- Sharing expertise in order to resolve legal conflicts, justly and expeditiously.
- Using the skills and knowledge within the membership to promote the solution of national and international problems in Forensic Science, Medicine and the Law.
The first meeting of the Academy was held in 1960.